Frequently Asked Questions
Click on any of the topics below to find out more information. Have a question that isn't answered here? Contact us.Youth Program Questions
What to pack for camp
Lunch and snacks Pack enough for a full and active day.
Water bottle We recommend a water bottle that is at least 12 oz. While many parks have water fountains, our activities often take us down trails or into areas where fountains are not readily available.
A sweater or jacket The weather can change rapidly. Wool and synthetics are advised since they do not absorb moisture the same way cotton does. Trackers programs typically go outside every day, rain or shine. Please pack rain gear if the weather predicts rain (water-proof jacket, pants, and boots).
Layers / change of clothes Having an extra long sleeve shirt, a warm hat, and a pair of pants can make the difference between a happy kid and a not-so-happy one when the weather changes. At the end of the day, expect that kids may be wet, muddy, and/or covered in poison oak (although of course we try and avoid that last one!) You may wish to bring a change of clothes for the ride home.
Long pants Long pants help provide protection from thorns and poison oak.
Sturdy, but worn in closed toe shoes Comfort is key, but we suggest something that is water resistant with a little ankle support.
Sunscreen / hat Sunburns are possible, even on cloudy days! Please pack some form of sun protection.
Carving knife (Optional) Campers are welcome to bring their own knives, although we have loaner knives available for any carving activities. Knives should be non-serrated with a fixed or locking blade. Note that we may or may not engage in carving activities depending on the camp theme and group needs. This is at the sole discretion of the instructor. If you have any questions about choosing a knife, please feel free to ask us.
Youth Drop-off and pick-up details
Authorized pick-ups During morning check-in you will be asked to list the names of anyone who might possibly pick up your child (another parent, babysitters, grandparents, neighbors, friends, etc). We require all adults picking up children to present a photo ID every day, including parents. We do this to provide the highest level of safety for our participants. Find out more about our company's safety policies.
Self-check-out If your child has permission to check themselves in and/or out, please sign the independent release form in your account under Students & Forms. Click "Enable Independent Release" and submit the form. During summer camp, you must do this by Thursday at 5 PM for it to be printed on our rosters for Monday.
Late Drop-off: Please make every effort to be on time! We transport kids to our locations, so we cannot guarantee that you will be able to join your group if you arrive late. If you are running late, please call us so that we may direct you to the day's program destination. During check-in time it may not be possible for us to answer the phone immediately as we may be assisting parents already. We do check our voicemail frequently. Please leave a message and we will call you back.
Late Pick-up: Contact us as soon as you know you will be late. For the first 10 minutes we charge a fee of $5 and there is a charge of $1/minute thereafter. After 30 minutes you will be charged the full $35 fee for unregistered Extended Camp. We do this in order to make every effort to compensate our instructors for the time they invest. We need our team leaders to be able to go home, rest, and return refreshed and ready to care for children the next day.
How to report an absence
To report an absence, you may e-mail us or leave us a voicemail. In your message, please state your camper's name, grade, camp theme, and group number if you know it.
Please note that, due to the small size of our program, we are unable able to offer credit, refunds or make-ups for missed program days.
Where do your programs go?
At Outdoor PDX, most of our programs are transported: We travel from the drop-off location to local parks and green spaces. We go beyond paved asphalt trails and visit real nature! We choose our sites based on program curriculum and the available natural resources and biodiversity. Often times, the closest urban parks have many restrictions on activities and use that mean we have to go a little farther afield - but it's worth it! Our daily bus travel times vary, but typically range from 20 - 60 minutes each way. Bus time is camp time, with songs, stories, and engaging activities for children.
Which grade should I register my child for?
Children should be registered for the grade they will be entering in the fall. For all other camps, campers should be registered for the grade they are currently in.
We understand that for some campers, camp is an opportunity to spend time adventuring with old friends while making new ones. We go to great lengths to make sure friends are placed together. Friend requests may be updated by logging in to your user profile or by contacting us.
Please note: Friend requests must be 10 days prior to the start of camp. We may not be able to honor requests made after this cut-off. Campers must be registered for the same grade and camp theme in order to be placed together, and all friend requests must be mutual (your child's friend must also request them). Please double check your registration to ensure your camper is enrolled in the same grade and camp theme as any friends. In order to keep group dynamics balanced, we ask that you do not request for your child to be placed with more than one other camper.
Cancellation and Camp Change Policy
General Refund Policy
- Cancellations received with more than 21 days notice are 75% refundable
- Cancellations received between 14-21 days notice are 50% refundable
- Cancellations received less than 14 days notice are not refundable. For additional options see Best Fit Guarantee .
- We do not prorate or refund tuition for days missed due to illness or injury
- Please Note Additional restrictions apply to Summer Camps (see below)
Summer Camp Refund Policy
- Cancellations until April 30: 75% of tuition is refundable
- Cancellations on or after May 1: 50% of tuition is refundable
- Cancellations on or after June 1: no tuition is refundable. For additional options see Best Fit Guarantee.
Camp Change Requests must be received in writing (via email) at least 7 days prior to your original program's start date. All changes are subject to availability.
- Changes to a program incur a $35 Administrative Change Fee
- Registrations and fees are non-transferable to other accounts
About Refund Policies
Due to the popularity of our camps, parents often register to reserve a spot while still working out their schedule. This has led to an unsustainable amount of camp cancellations and changes. We have updated our refund policy with this trend. Please register only if you are certain you have the availability to attend the camp and the week you register for.
Both our summer and long-term programs have limited room in groups to insure quality mentoring. If someone leaves a program, we still have the expense of them attending due to commitments such as paying our educators. When we fill a camp and someone decides not to attend, it is often too late to find a student to take their place as waitlisted students have frequently chosen another program.
How to register using an open registration deposit
- You must have an existing open registration deposit.
- Visit our Summer Camp page and pick out the week of summer camp you would like to register for.
- Complete the registration process. Please note that you have a base deposit in the box for Additional Info at the bottom of the Add a Student Page. If you already have an account, this field may be updated by clicking the edit button next to your student’s name.
- At the end of the registration process, the system will give you the option to PAY NOW or PAY LATER. Click the PAY LATER button and enter the code included in your most recent Base Deposit Registration email.
- This will complete your registration and you will receive your camp confirmation soon. If you registered for an overnight camp, or a camp with additional materials fees, an invoice for the remainder due will be sent. You will only be invoiced up to the super early bird discount price for these camps.
If you have any questions, please contact us.